|My Top Five||Mini-Chef Erik Liu, my grandson, can cook these too!|
|Kadu Bouranee (Sweet Pumpkin)||Sweet Tomato Sauce:
1 t crushed garlic
1 C water.,
1/2 t salt
1/2 C sugar
1 4-oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 t ginger root, chopped fine
1 t freshly ground coriander seeds
1/4 t black pepper
|1. Peel the pumpkin or squash and cut into 1x2-3 inch rounds
or squares. set aside. I use 2 Butternut squash.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan that has a lid. Fry the pumpkins on both sides for a couple of minutes until lightly browned.
3. Mix together ingredients for sweet tomato sauce in a bowl and then add to pumpkin mixture in frying pan. Cook for 20-25 minutes over low heat until the pumpkin is cooked and most of the liquid has evaporated.
4. Mix together the ingredients for the yogurt sauce.
To Serve: Spread half the yogurt sauce on a plate and lay the pumpkins
on top. Top with remaining yogurt and any cooking juices left over. Sprinkle
with dry mint. May be served with chalow (basmati rice) and naan or pita,
bread. Modified from Afghani Cooking by Asad Gharwal p. 79. (1995)
|Ginger chicken||2 T vegetable oil
1 large onion chopped
3 #'s chicken cut into 1 inch pieces
2 T fresh grated ginger
2 t garlic
1 t cumin ground
1 t turmeric
1T coriander seeds
1 5 in stick cinnamon
1 t red chilli powder
1/3 C honey
1/3 C chili sauce
1/3 C Soy sauce or Teriyaki Sauce
1 C yogurt
½ t salt
1 t black pepper
|1. Fry 2 shallot onions or 1 round onion in oil until soft
medium heat. Add ginger garlic, cumin, turmeric, coriander seeds, cinnamon,
red chilli and fry 1 min.
2. Add chicken and stir for 1 min or until sides are cooked
3. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 10 minutes until chicken is done.
4. Add 1T corn starch if sauce is too thin.
Optional taste and faster: Blend all ingredients but chicken in blender. Pour sauce over chicken and microwave for 10 minutes.
Serve over rice.
Curried Kidney Beans.
1/4 # butter
|1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and sauté'
onions, peppers, and curry powder and apples until tender.
2 .Place tomatoes in a colander and squeeze until all liquid is removed (reserve liquid for other uses- Bloody Mary's).
3. Combined drained tomatoes with onion mixture, kidney beans, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a casserole.
4. Bake for 30 minutes. Modified from San Francisco a la Carte. p. 179 (1979)
Serves 12 or more
|Chilled Carrot Soup with Cumin and Lime||2 T olive oil
2 # carrots, peeled, chopped (about 5 C)
2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), chopped (about 2 C)
1 T chopped garlic
3-4 T ground cumin
½ t dried crushed red pepper
6 1/2 C (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth
8 T sour cream
2 T fresh lime juice
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
2 t grated lime peel
|1. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium high heat.
2. Add carrots and leeks and sauté until leeks begin to soften but not brown, about 5 min. Add garlic; saute 1 min. Add cumin and crushed red pepper; saute 30 sec longer,
3. Add 6 ½ C chicken broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender, about 35 min.
4. Puree soup in batches in blender until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool. Whisk in 6 T sour cream. Cover soup and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
5. Stir lime juice into soup. Thin soup with more broth, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Ladle into 4 bowls. Spoon 1/2 T sour cream atop each serving. Sprinkle with cilantro, and lime peel. Four servings.
Modified from Bon Appetit, Aug 1998 p 61
|Grilled Chicken with hot Spices (Ayam Panggang Pedis)||3 lb boneless and skinless chicken breasts
1 t salt
2 t ground black pepper
2 sambal ulek or ground fresh red chilli
1 small finely grated onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T dark soy sauce
2 tpalm sugar or substitute
2 T lemon juice
2 T peanut oil
1. Cut lengthwise breasts into two and score the flesh on both sides to allow flavors to penetrate.
2. Combine all the other ingredients and rub the chicken well with this marinade, cover and leave for 1 hour, or refrigerate and leave for longer.
3. Grill on charcoal or broil in oven. Brush with marinade or extra oil and keep turning chicken pieces.
Modified from The Complete Asian Cookbook by Charmaine Solomon
Parsnip Butternut Squash
1 lb each Parsnip and Butternut Squash peeled and chopped ½ to 1 inch pieces
1. Heat oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat until golden brown. Drain oil.
Add the parsnip and butternut squash and rest of ingredient. Cover and cook for 20 min until the parsnips and squash are soft and most of the liquid is reduced.